Kane County Neighbors for Open Space, Clean Water, and Clean Air

Why Vote "Yes" | Who Supports It | How Can I Help? | Referendum in the News | Issues and Answers | Results of Previous Referenda | Contact Us

Vote 'Yes' April 4 to Preserve More Land

Early voting is underway at locations throughout the county - click here for details

$50 million bond issue to purchase additional forests, wetlands, prairie, and natural areas in Kane County
Even with the bond issue, Forest Preserve property taxes will actually go down because old bonds are being paid off
Control over development, enhance quality of life, invest in the future
Preserving open space protects watersheds, improves the water quality of rivers, lakes and streams, and helps control flooding.
We must act now -- land prices are rising, interest rates are low, and sellers are willing

See also: Kane Forest Preserve District web site | referendum brochure (pdf format) - will open in new window

The Forest Preserve District of Kane County will ask Kane County voters if they want more and expanded forest preserves and protected open space on the April 4, 2017, ballot. Please support improving the our quality of life and keeping our environment clean by voting 'yes' for a $50 million bond issue.

If approved by the voters, 2,000 to 2,500 acres of land will be added to Kane County forest preserves as open space for people and wildlife. About 80 percent of the bond proceeds will focus on making existing forest preserves bigger and connecting them together.  The remaining 20 percent will be allocated to capital improvements like trails and public access and restoring wildlife habitat.  None of the bond funds will be used for routine operating expenses.

The Kane County forest preserve system currently consists of approximately 21,000 acres -- about 6 percent of total land in the county -- and lags behind several adjacent counties in terms of total acres preserved and percentage of overall land.

The Forest Preserve District is paying off older bond issues, resulting in a decrease of about $104 over the next two years for a typical $250,000 home.  Passage of the new bond issue will cost about $22 a year for that same home.  Your forest Preserve tax bill will still go down.

Preserving more open space will help slow traffic congestion and urban sprawl.  Open space adds value to our properties and provides recreational opportunities for you and your families. 

Please VOTE YES on April 4 for open space, clean water and air, outdoor recreational opportunities, better flood control, and improved wildlife habitat.